Don't track YOUR visits. Track your visitors.
Get an accurate count on your Google Analytics. Simple yet effective! Download WebGuru's Google Analytics Plugin v.0.6 for Joomla 1.5.
WebGuru's Google Analytics plugin is simply THE MOST accurate extension for tracking "true" visitors and traffic to your Joomla site with Google Analytics. This little plugin gives you options to exclude yourself from being tracked along with your visitors.
Back-end options view of WebGuru's Google Analytics plugin for Joomla
(Click to see larger image)
Issues with Past Options for Installing Google Analytics on Your Site
Up until now it was nearly impossible to NOT track your own visits on Google Analytics in Joomla. This posed a problem as your analytics data was diluted by visits by either you or your office/IT/marketing folks. Many smaller businesses have their website as their starting homepage in their browsers. This can hugely inflate the actual number of visitors. What you people really want to measure are people that really matter - your potential customers and business partners. We, at WebGuru, set out to solve that problem and have come up with this plugin.
Benefits of the WebGuru's Plugin
Now, you can measure "true" visitors to your site without recording yourself and your team. This will prevent the Google Analytics coding from falsely inflating your pageviews, time on site, number of visitors, etc. You can even decide and set which level of users should be included in the Google Analytics tracking. To our knowledge, this is the first publicly available Google Analytics plugin that allows users to do this in Joomla.
WebGuru's Google Analytics Plugin FEATURES
WebGuru's Google Analytics plugin allows options to exclude site administrators, managers, editors, etc from being tracked. It also makes sure that the administrative pages do NOT show up in your Google Analytics tracking.
More specifically, the this plugin for Joomla:
- Allows you the option to NOT track the admin area
- Allows you the option to NOT track Super Administrators (regardless of pages they visit as long as they are logged in)
- Allows you the option to NOT track Administrators (regardless of pages they visit as long as they are logged in)
- Allows you the option to NOT track Managers (regardless of pages they visit as long as they are logged in)
- Allows you the option to NOT track Publishers (regardless of pages they visit as long as they are logged in)
- Allows you the option to NOT track Editors (regardless of pages they visit as long as they are logged in)
- Allows you the option to NOT track Authors (regardless of pages they visit as long as they are logged in)
- Allows you the option to log 404 errors - What pages did visitors try to visit? You can find out if you are missing on serving possible visits attempts for specific URL's.
- Allows you the option to log searches on your site - Find out for what are your site visitors are looking.
- Allows you the option to log outgoing links from your site - How are your visitors leaving your site? On which links did they click?
- Works with the new ga.js and any updates of it
Download Latest Version
Thank you for downloading the plugin. We hope this is exactly what you have been looking.
Research Notes & References
Before we created this plugin, we used to use the BIGSHOT Google Analytics plugin. It's a nifty tool and has been the best Google Analytics extension for Joomla since its launch in fall of 2008. It allowed for a very simple and easy installation. It did not track the admin area. And, it worked without any issues. However, as we get more involved in the internet marketing industry, we realized that this tool simply was not good enough anymore.
The biggest issue with this extension and all the other tools out there (to our knowledge) is that they all include YOUR visits in the analytics data. If we, as business owners, want to track our visitors and our true customers, then we really do not want to have our own visits dilluting the actual visits to our sites.
Before we launched our plugin, we did a quick research again just to make sure there are not anything for Joomla that already does provide this.
We researched & looked at other tools out there:
We also looked at some of the newer and less downloaded GA tracking installation modules and tools out there (ARIO, jxAnalytics, Goaxi, short to the point, etc). Some of those provide some additional interesting functionality, however none of them offer ability to exclude certain user groups.
- BIGSHOT Google Analytics plugin - best alternative to our release (in our humble opinion of course), but does NOT have options to exclude user groups, log 404 errors, outgoing links, etc
- Connect Analytics - module (have to be enabled in hidden module) & again no options to exclude user groups, log 404 errors, outgoing links, etc
- J!Analytics - module (have to be enabled in hidden module) released in March 2008 & have no options to exclude user groups, log 404 errors, outgoing links, etc
- JoomlaGATor - initially launched in October 2007 as module, this extension allows some interesting options like specific user and download tracking. However, there is no option to exclude certain user groups.
- Google Analytics Tracking Module - launched initially in 2006 as a module, this extension was one of the first major Joomla extensions to allow people to effortlessly add Joomla tracking to various sites. Like all the other tools, this also has no options to exclude certain user groups.
A Final Note
We think that, as of this release date, this Joomla plugin allows for THE MOST accurate tracking with Google Analytics. This by no means is degrading of previous and existing coders and programmers. Rather, this is just an update of something that hopefully will be useful for Joomla users everywhere. We are of course grateful for all other programmers for helping further develop Joomla into the one of the finest Content Management Systems (CMS) out there today.
Frequently Asked Questions
We just launched the plugin, so we don't have any questions right now. ;) Please let us know your thoughts and ask us if you have any questions. Please also feel free to share your ideas on how we can make it even better.
- Are there any security issues caused by the plugin?
- No. There are absolutely no security issues that are caused by the WebGuru's Google Analytics Plugin for Joomla.
The issue brought to attention by Pat Lee is a simple integration issue between the two plugins. Both plugins use the tag for their coding. The issue that she had showed that the Google Analytics coding showed up in the username field on the admin login page. As you can see, this is not a security issue at all. Furthermore, we have not even been able to replicate the issue yet.
So, there are no known security issues with the plugin. Please continue to use and try it out as usual. We thank Pat for trying out the plugin and also for letting us know the issues she had.
- Where do I obtain the ENTIRE Google Analytics code?
- Log into your Google Analytics account
- If you do not have a Google Analytics account, you can sign up for Google Analytics at www.google.com/analytics. If you also do not have a Google account, you will be prompted to sign up for a new Google Account. Once, you follow the given steps to create your own Google Analytics account for your website, you will be able to see your entire code at one of the final steps.
- Once you have logged into your Google Analytics account, go to the appropriate Joomla website profile, click "Edit", and then click "Check Status". You should now be able to see your entire Google Analytics coding. Copy the entire code, starting with .
- There are no other major questions, however please try out our plugin and let us know what you think of it. We will do our best to incorporate some of your suggestions on the next update.
The plugin was developed in its entirety by WebGuru Co Ltd. The plugin is released under GPL. It is available for free for use.
We hope to make this one of the most effective tools for accurately analyzing website traffic in order to increase website effectiveness and make correct business decisions. Please send us your suggestions and ideas for improvement.
THANK YOU FOR DOWNLOADING AND TRYING OUR PRODUCT!!
With Love from Mongolia,
Team at WebGuru